Today I wanted to download the right kernel source code and found this helping blog post. However, I got the feeling that the url can be built automatically to avoid fetching the wrong URL. Use the following command instead and it should always fetch the appropriate sources according to your currently running machine:
operating systems stuff
For some weeks I had to cope with a monochrome vim in MSYS/MinGW, which turned out to be a really horrible experience to be honest and I avoided vim as often as I could. Searching on the web did not help much, therefore I want to share the little thing with you
A long while ago, I re-wrote the transfer stack for the shell in Python.
The transfer stack is the counterpart to the directory dtack, which is known by the commands
The corresponding tools of the transfer stack are
transfers, all of which can be found in my github repository.
Since my current job forces me to work on Windows most of the time, I desperately tried to get any shell/terminal on Windows shell to the same level as all other *nix shells in the 20th century. It turned out to be an endeavour but with a decently working bash in the end.
I just cleaned up my home brew cellar and had problems reinstalling R. I got the old well-known error message:
brew install r ==> Downloading http://cran.r-project.org/src/base/R-2/R-2.15.1.tar.gz Already downloaded: /Library/Caches/Homebrew/r-2.15.1.tar.gz Error: This formula requires a fortran compiler,...
Reinstalling gfortran (which was actually installed already) did not help and so I decided to trick home brew until the problem is ﬁxed, with the following:
For doing native FreeBSD stuﬀ, I decided to install FreeBSD besides an existing Ubuntu installation. However, the Grub settings did not turned out to be as easy as the installation process.
I recently updated the shell add-on for OS X, that overloads rm to not remove the items, but move them into trash instead. Before the update, a for loop moved every single item given in the command line into trash using one osascript (Apple Script) call per item. This caused a blocking shell with one ‘ﬂupp’ sound eﬀect for each moved item, which can be quite tedious, when removing many items, even if they are small. Now, after the update, a item list is created and ﬁlled with all given items to remove and in the end passed to one osascript call.
As I always forget the exact syntax and am too chicken-hearted to fool around, I note down the command to add one’s public key to the authorized keys on the remote machine (to login using pub/private key pair only) here. Use the following command (id_rsa.pub might be id_dsa.pub on your site).
cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub | ssh firstname.lastname@example.org "cat - >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys"
Even though the title seems to exaggerate slightly, I need to say, that the 33 minutes OS X Lion claims to need for installation - and it does not correct itself by measuring the time - can never be reached with hard drives, at least not for an upgrade. For my ﬁrst installation, I was waiting for 75 minutes and the second installation tells me that 28 minutes are left (after 40 ‘real’ minutes).
It’s a bit tricky, but today I ﬁxed a small problem of an obsolete shortcut in OS X Lion. I used to have Cmd-Right on Exposé and Cmd-Middle on Spaces, to have both functions short at hand. After I upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard, Spaces and Exposé are merged into Mission Control, which was a wise decision, but my mouse shortcuts were migrated BOTH to Mission Control.